Share | 

The State of Statues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alex
I'm going to do it! I'm going to write! Oh look a bug

PostSubject: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Spoiler:

Almere ran down the halls looking for his friends. She had to be around here somewhere. Just earlier that day the temple had received a very important document from a newly opened tomb. Though he did not know what it had contained, it had stirred the elders more than any festival. There was talk about it being ancient, possibly having to do with the guardian statues.
On top of her missing, their smaller friend was also no where to be found. That usually meant trouble when he was not perched somewhere in a nook or cranny like some little statue. Else, he was where the food was. So far he was neither of places.

Teto lounged on the Guardian Statue of the Fire Spirit. He stroked the carved strands in the ferrets tail while his feet drummed on the head. "Doooi. Doitean, dear. You really should wake up. The humans found a wonderful thing today. Do you want me to tell you what it is?"
In his usual squirrel form, he slides off the small statue and leans in close to the ferrets ear.

Last edited by alex on Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelly
the only D you're getting is a Duel!

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Nian leaned on a small bridge that crossed over a small decorative pond filled with Koi fish. She was waiting for her roommate to come out of his some-what mandatory class, while she had no assignments or tasks to do today assigned by the elders.

She figured she could have waited in their room, but it was too nice a day to lock herself away in. Another reason was that their deviant sprite friend (she says sprite because only the kids could see him it seems) has been idle for a few days, and she's suspicious of what antics he could be up to - if he's still around at all that is.

Suddenly she heard her name being called by a familiar voice, Almere's, and she looked up from the sun bathed wood to wave to him with a smile. He seemed full of energy per usual, but with a pinch of something else.

"Hello!" She greeted happily. "What're you all worked up about today?"

- - - - -

Surrounded by unimaginable heat, Dóiteán rested peacefully in his spiritual slumber. He enjoyed every year of it, being that he was a very popular fire god in the shrine he inhabited. He made quite a name for himself due to his miracles and his strength so he was summoned ever rarely in dire emergencies. He only ever remained on the brink of complete sleep because he enjoyed the prayers of the older humans and the admiration of the younger ones.

Suddenly an icy sting coursed throughout his being.

Doooi. Doitean, dear. You really should wake up.

Only other spiritual beings could talk to him directly, with such clarity. That could only mean one thing. Oh no...

Another icy chill racked through, yanking him out of the spirit realm and into the human's world. He could hear metal bang against stone, and he growled angrily as his fire consumed his body to melt away the freezing metal cover that hung above the rest of the Legends under him. In their sleep, he noticed, jealous, they were quite large. So he was awakened in his ferret form, then? How lovely.

Another growl escaped him as he rose to his hind legs, still covered in fire.

"What's the meaning of this!?" He complained, turning to see the long forgotten Earth Spirit, Teto. "Have you any idea the amount of prayers I was fulfilling in my slumber?"

The fire smothered itself out and there he stood in all his glory, a small ferret with a fire-colored tail and a yellow wisdom ribbon he had earned centuries ago around his neck.

"Teto!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:43 pm

"Nian!" The boy, winded, braced himself on the railing beside her. Catching up her hand, he continued between breathes. "The elders have something. It was delivered this morning. A big sealed box. Oh Come on!

He dragged her back over the weathered little bridges. Back through the large red and gold side doors. Through the columns to the office halls. Here doors were set betwixt large potted ferns.

Pulling his friend behind one, they crouched near the crack of the oldest office, reserved for the Father Abbot. Inside the voices of the monks could be heard.

"What do you mean it's missing?"

"Who would take it?"

"How could they take it? The chest was sealed!"

"I don't know who took it, but we must find it. The words written inside are not meant for man."

"The spirits will not be happy.

The squirrel had the biggest smile. Relishing in the sight of the ferret all aflame. "Hello dear. Don't tell me you aren't happy to see me?" Teto jumped down from the pedestal, taking the form of a small boy with dark grey hair and shocking green eyes. "How long has it been? Nearly a century since you last came out to play, Doi-doi?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelly

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Nian squeaked from being yanked away to wherever her friend wanted to bring her. Almere was always fascinated with the shrine's business and what the elders offered to teach him, but he rarely was this excited about deliveries such at these. (Wow I'm godmodding hardcore)

"Sealed box? That's mysterious for sure." She murmured mostly to herself. The Hall was rather intimidating, being that she hardly ever set foot in it, so she wiggled in place uncomfortably behind the large pot. When Almere nudged her gently and nodded towards the office next to them, she listened in.

"Missing? Well I have a hunch." She whispered to her friend, annoyed by her own thoughts.

- - - - -

"'Doi-Doi'?" Dóiteán crossed his arms with a huff. "Since when has anyone ever been happy to see the God of Unfortunate Events?" The fire god grumbled. Although Teto was a mischievous spirit, he was still considered an Earth God no matter what condition he's in so Dóiteán wasn't going to disrespect him like the other Gods or humans may have in the past.

"It rather has been awhile, hasn't it?" He agrees, climbing up the now boy's leg and resting on his left shoulder. "Why have you woken me? I'm stuck in this form until I've been summoned for a fight against a demon terrorizing the humans you know, so it better be good."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Almere nodded. "Have you seen the little trickster today?" She shook her head, off course she hadn't. The sprite had been gone for days. He backed away from the door and paced away from the door.
Even if she had seen him, there was no telling if he would stay in one place for long. "If it's something to do with the spirits, maybe we should check the shrine?" He waited for her say before trekking all the way back to the ponds.

Teto walked out of the large dark roofed bell tower. It stood in the front of the Temple courtyard and was only accessed by a series of bridged waterways. Small flowers fell on the boy and ferret as the bridge shook the trunk.
"Forgive my excitement, Doitean, but I missed you. I've been away to long." Setting the ferret on the railing, he cast him another coy smile. The children had learned quick it meant trouble. Did his friend still know his tell-tale signs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelly

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Nian shook her head to his question. She hasn't seen the squirrel for days, there's no other assumption possible than the little pest meddling with the monk's package to upset the village and possibly the Gods.

"Right," she nodded, following after him. Maybe the Gods will have the answer?

- - - - -

Dóiteán relished in the warm wood beneath his paws and he stretched with a yawn. He could feel the blood pumping in his little immortal ferret body already.

"Ah, so you've awaken me because you were lonely? Is that all?" The little furry dragon noticed the boy's smile and his ears went back, sensing a disturbance in the main Hall. "You said the humans found something... what have you done now?" He grumbled, eyes narrowed. "This better not be another mess I have to clean up."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:43 pm

"Okay, so they found two things now. They found a little piece of information. And now they found it missing. The boy rolled back on his heals and, with his wide grin, giggled. "You know I find ways to keep myself busy.

"No, since I was... untimely released I've been cleaning up after myself." He looked up to see his two human companions running their way. "Brushing it under the rug."

"Teto!" The boy called as he crossed the many little bridges. He watched the sprite backflip onto the other railing. Once again small and disarming. "What did you do to the monk's box, trickster?" The squirrel simply shrugged.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelly

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:03 pm

"Well? What is it? The information?" The ferret asked, standing up on his hind legs and crossing his arms once again. "Alright you greedy little rodent. Spit it out, what did you do?"

Dóiteán simply huffed at his 'Under the rug' statement. Two of the shrine's children came by in a rush. They seemed to be wanting to visit the shrine with their speed and direction. He was relieved that he didn't have a human or dragon form to worry about when it came to hiding from the villagers. A mere little oddly colored ferret is how he stayed unless he was summoned to by a high ranked monk or was defeated by a demon. He probably should sit like a normal ferret, though.

- - - - -

With the disturbance in the Hall and Teto showing his face again, it was obvious the Sprite was involved somehow. Almere beat her to the assumption.

When the squirrel (boy) shrugged, Nian raised a finger to him angrily. "Listen here you little punk! We overheard that the package meant for the monks was so sacred it's not supposed to be read by humans. We need to make sure it's not in the wrong hands... including yo-" Nian was cut off when she spotted a black, brown and white ferret sitting across from Teto.

"Awe, look Almere! A ferr-" Noticing the fire-marked tail, she quickly realized this wasn't a normal ferret. "Oh now you're bringing friends along in this little game you're playing?" She frowned, pointing to the other sprite while glaring at Teto.

- - - - -

"You think I'm a Sprite? It's only been a few centuries. You'd think someone would have remembered me." Dóiteán pouted with a smoke filled sigh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Púróg smiled wide, even with his fur covered cheeks. "I'm sorry, Dóiteán. They don't even know who I am."

Almere looked to the ferret and back again. Spirits weren't a common occurrence. Rarely good according to history. "You're Teto, and we don't have time for your games. When the Father receives an artifact it has to be stored away." He looked to Nian for help. The sprite rarely listened to him. "It's not like he cared with any other object."

Púróg laughed at the little nickname Dóiteán had given him. "See? I find my own fun."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelly

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:45 am

Almere looked at her for some sort of negotiation with the Sprite. "If he doesn't listen to you what makes you think he'd listen to me?" Nian asks, exasperated. She quickly thinks of something that might please the squirrel. "Look Teto it's not like any of the Elders see you anyway... though we still don't know why. So you can return the artifact to them without getting caught, yes? Then things will go back to normal. ...As far as normal goes around here with you running amok."

I'm sorry, Dóiteán. They don't even know who I am.

"Well obviously," Dóiteán remarked at Púróg's first statement. "But I'm a more recent God, still solidified in that shrine- well, was." He glared at Teto, then at the human kids. "If these children visit the shrine as much as they're suppose to, and were as observant as they're supposed to be, surely they'd recognize me." He mumbled, directing most of his frustration to the young humans.

"'Dóiteán'?" Nian suddenly says, curious. "THE Dóiteán? The Fire God?"

"The very same." The ferret says proudly, chest puffed out.

"But in the pictures in our books you're suppose to be a giant dragon, not a little ferret." The young girl says, poking the little God's chest fluff.

"I am a dragon! Just you watch this." The Fire God inhales, eyes lit up like they held their own fire, and when he exhaled, a small flame the size of a grape choked out. "Aha, I've still got it." Dóiteán says to himself, rubbing his little nails in his fur pleased.

"You should be ashamed of yourself! Mocking a God when you're just a Sprite." Nian huffs, crossing her arms.

"I am no Sprite!!!" Dóiteán growls, jumping up and down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:06 am

"Assuming he even knows about the box." Almere groaned, now turning his attention to the ferret. He was a similar size to Teto, so why couldn't he be another spirit.

Stifling a giggle, "And what would they say to a little statue walking in to the offices?" He was referring to the numerous times the children were caught 'in the wrong' and blamed it on a little figurine they 'deposited at the scene of their crimes'.

"Dóiteán is supposed to be a dragon big enough to swallow a demon." He shared Nian's skepticism. "You can barely blow fire. He must be a little fire spirit."

He walked past the animals into the shrine, half expecting something old and dusty to be laying somewhere among the statu- "One of them is Missing?!

"What is the dragons word?" Púróg slumped down to lay on the railing. His furry little chin propped on his hands as his feet kicked in the air. "What is the dragons word?" He asked Dóiteán again.

He winked the ferret. His plume of a tail separated out into nine waving parts and his ears pointed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelly

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:48 am

"They'd leave it alone eventually. It's not like they'll have a specific kid to blame." Nian suggested towards Teto's snarky concerns. She followed Almere over the bridge and into the shrine, ignoring the bothersome sprites behind them. Why they exposed themselves to the both of them she was still confused about.

"Ignorant human children." Dóiteán growls, little paws balled into fists, fire in his eyes and smoke rising from them weakly.

Looking up to where her friend was rumbling on about, she quickly gripped his shoulders and shook him from behind. "A God is loose around here? Does that mean it was summoned?" She asked, frightened. She didn't want to admit that the ferret's self-proclamation could be true. No, don't let that Sprite get into your head! That's what they're best at! "I've never looked up in the shrine... only around. Oh Almere, this isn't good. Should we tell the Elders?

Pausing from his own personal rampage, Dóiteán looked over at his God companion. "What are you on about now? What 'Dragon Word'?" His eyes narrowed at the tails growing out of Teto's rear, and the ferret quickly jumped over to the other side, standing in concern. "What are you up to? After waking me up the least you could do is tell me what you're doing!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 am

"Well if I noticed it gone, how fast do you think the elders would?" He quickly cast about to find the missing figurine. Teto was just outside he couldn't have moved it far. He went to look outside, in the water in the trees if he had to.

Púróg smiled at the children trying to find his friend. The annoyance in said friends voice quickly wiped it away. "Your word. The words that bound you to sleep." He stood up, a head shorter then the ferret, but he stood tall before him.

"The words I didn't finish." The children had run out again. He had to make this quick, he had waited enough. "The words only You can say."

"Children? What are you doing around the shrine." The Father of the temple slowly approached. He took in the little stone fox statue, sitting with his tail billowing around him and a single paw up. It sat in front of the Guardian Dóiteán. "How many times have I told you not to play around with the Idols."

He picked up the little piece of metal and placed him back on his pedestal on the shelf. "Now is not the time to anger the spirits."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kelly

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:23 am

Nian helped Almere look for the missing figurine. Maybe it had fallen and rolled behind the other God statues somewhere. Suddenly a old-sounding voice rung out to them from behind.

"Oh no..." Nian whispered to Almere, hoping they wouldn't get into too much trouble for being in the shrine and not praying. The Father held a fox and ferret statue in each hand.

When the Elder placed the ferret figurine up on a high pedestal, Nian gasped. So he was telling the truth! That's Dóiteán, God of the Flame!

A chilly seal raked through Dóiteán's being, making him a metallic statue once more. This only happened when he was being returned to his position from a high ranked monk or when his blessing has been given. Since it's not the latter, he was simply being returned - which he didn't mind too much. Teto's riddles were giving him quite the headache for a ferret God.

The kids stopped a ways away from the shrine as the Father kept walking. "This isn't good. We need to get Teto back and find out where he's keeping that artifact. Who knows what's going to happen if the Elders can't find it." She said to Almere lowly. "I'm going back to the shrine to ask for Guardian Dóiteán's help!"

"Uhm... Dóiteán, sir?" Nian said nervously, hands together towards her mouth.

The statue shined a bright orange before turning into the ferret she saw only moments before. "Oh so now you're showing respect to your Gods?" He remarked, resting his head on a paw casually.

"I'm sorry! I didn't believe you before, alright? Now I do. We need your help getting Teto back. He knows something we don't know and it's not going to end well, knowing him."

"Yes, I know. It's quite aggravating. He knows things about me I don't even know about myself - and he doesn't even have the guts to tell me. Alright, I'll help."

"Really?" Nian asked excitingly, feeling the Fire God land on her head with a thud.

"Yes. But I'm going back to sleep right after this, no negotiations. And hide me from the Elders so we don't have to keep visiting the shrine. Let's go."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:48 am

Almere followed the Father down the halls. His head bowed apologetically. It was the same speech about treating the ancients with respect. How a gods wrath could follow someone for generations. And then the story turned.

"Thats how Púróg broke. Now the temple is plagued with the tricksters spirit."

"Púróg, sir? I don't remember learning his prayers." Pausing a moment, the boy added. "There isn't a missing statue in the shrine."

The Father Abbot stopped outside his office. "That's because they were lost in the fire that followed his pedestals destruction. He was a tricky fox that was sealed away by the others for his mischief." He unlocked his office. "His pedestal is what you kids keep calling the broken column. The temple was built around him, then the others were soon brought to the Temple for their final rest. Now that there are no demons wandering the land, the world doesn't need the Gods at their pull potential. Now run along." The elderly man sighed and stepped inside.

Teto shook himself awake on the desk, and smiled up at the old man. "Kenji that is such a lie. I caused the fire long before I woke up. Such is my nature to make things difficult."

"I know where Teto is. The Father has him in his office, but it's locked. I waited outside behind the pot for hours. He's locked the door though." Almere told Nian later that evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The State of Statues   

Back to top Go down

The State of Statues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1